Re: GATX fleet breakdown?

Tony Thompson

Dave Parker (in an informative post) wrote:

I have absolutely no handle on how many GA 1930 design cars were built, or who bought them.  The GATX fleet did double from 1930 to 1935, but this was a time when lots of used tank cars could be had on the cheap.

     And when quite a few smaller leasing companies went under, or changed business model, and sold their entire fleets to GATC. Richard Hendrickson tracked a lot of this in the early 1930s ORER issues (unfortunately less frequent because of the Depression), as the old reporting marks showed up there for awhile. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any record of his findings among his papers and computer files. One of his great talents was a phenomenal memory, but we now pay the price because he didn't need to write a lot of stuff down.

Tony Thompson