Re: Storzek & Des Plaines 1916 NYC Auto Box Cars

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Don,

Do you have Ted Culotta's article "New York Central "1916" Steel Auto Cars and Rebuilt Steel Auto Cars" from the January 2005 RMC?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 11:09 AM Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

    Being a Rutland modeler I have a number of these box car and auto car kits and have some questions about two that turn out to be NYC cars, NOT Rutland versions. For those wo do not know the difference it

is clear to me that when designing these kits Dennis was aware of the fact that the 1916 NYC ordered cars had 6 over 6 rib ends but that the 1924 Rutland ordered cars used a 5 over 7 rib end while being alike in

all other respects. Two auto boxes purchased in the after market as Rutland cars have proven to be NYC cars, which it the reason for the following questions.

  1. The instructions Dennis prepared for these car kits state the NYC began to rebuild the auto cars with only 6 ft. doors beginning in 1931. Does this mean the NYC only had auto box cars originally?

  1. He further states that one hundred cars were sold to the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic n 1935

and that “within the next two years most of the rest had been rebuilt as all steel boxcars”. Does

this mean that no cars of this type as either auto box cars or 6 ft. door box cars remained on the entire NYC system? What happened to the cars assigned to the Michigan Central? If an auto box

car of this type were still in use on the Michigan Central in the 1948 era I’d use the decals that

came with the kit and have one Michigan Central car. The other will end up as a D.S.S.&A. car or

a Nickel Plate Road car, that road having acquired a number of them through its purchase of the

Wheeling & Lake Erie.

     Hopefully either Dennis has acquired more knowledge of these cars over the last thirty years or Ray Breyer or another list member with knowledge of these cars can respond to my questions.

Cordially, Don Valentme

.