Re: Retractable Brake Staffs on Flat Cars - An Operational Question

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 05:52 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:
All of my loads so far would not interfere with or threaten the brake staffs, so I guess modeling the staff raised is acceptable. If I do a pole or lumber load, I’ll model the staff in the lowered position, assuming the prototype car had a drop-down hand brake.
Coming into this late. I would postulate that any car with a hand brake not in the position specified in the ICC safety appliance diagrams has a defect and won't move past the first inbound inspection without having it remedied. Now, the remedy may be as simple as the car men raising it to operating position, but it will be raised. If it can't be raised the shipper has a problem, because the railroad is going to charge him for shifting the load. All cars are required to have an operable hand brake, the only exception is idlers where the brake staff would interfere with the load, and those cars are required to be permanently coupled to a car with an operable hand brake. Permanently coupled in this case means either chained together or the uncoupling mechanisms made inoperative.

Dennis Storzek