Re: Retractable Brake Staffs on Flat Cars - An Operational Question

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 08:17 AM, George Eichelberger wrote:
Looking at various ads in different "Car Builder’s Cyclopedias”, “drop brake shafts” work in either the upper or lower position (their shaft is square) or rotated to the vertical or horizontal positions. Unless those functions were outlawed at some point, they could be arranged to clear loads wsith no problem.
Seems to me that unless the drop staff has a detent to hold the wheel 4" above the deck, they violate the requirement for hand clearance when in the down position. Can't comment on the swinging variety, but they didn't seem to be very popular after the twenties, so must not have offered any advantage. Seems to me we went through this discussion not too long ago, in a thread about brake staffs on early piggyback flats, and Guy Wilber provided the definitive answer, but I don't have time to search for it.

Dennis Storzek