Re: Tichy GSC Flatcar

Benjamin Hom

Steve Kay wrote:
"I picked up one of these kits back in the days when you could go to a train show.    After a bit of study, I decided to use it to model a worn UP flat (http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/up/up59588k.jpg).   I put grooves in the deck (which is pretty poor as it comes) painted decaled and assembled.    Turns out the car is riding very high--the whole body is about 9" high.  Has anybody had this problem?    The kit is very simple--it doesn't seem possible to screw it up (there aren't even any brake parts included, just the one-piece body, a weight and an underframe)."

While the model (photo from the Tichy website) does appear to ride a bit high compared to the prototype photo, likely as a concession to sharper model railroad curves, 9 inches sounds excessive.

Double check your trucks - not all model trucks conform to the NMRA RP, so if you get a pair on the high side, it'll directly affect the car height.

Ben Hom