Re: Photo: Chemical Processing Vessel On Flat Cars (Circa 1935)

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob and List Members,

Thanks Bob for another great image.

Regarding the image date, I think I see 10-36 stencilled on ERIE 7209, so it cannot be 1935...

Regarding the car CMStP&P 67053, it is one car of the two-car series 67053-67054. This is a 44-ft 200-ton car built by Standard Steel Car Co. on 10-1928 with trucks and span bolster from Buckeye Steel Castings Co.

Railway Age 02Feb1929 pg264 has an illustrated article on these two cars - a quote from the article...

"The cars are intended for the service of the A. O. Smith Corporation, Milwaukee, Wis., in transporting unusually heave machinery, including large gasoline stills used in a new cracking process"

So this image is spot on and shows the cars in the intended service!

Claus Schlund