Re: Photos: Assorted Freight Cars In St. Louis (Undated)

Gary Roe

Robert,

I agree with your assessment 100%.

In the middle picture, there are 2 diesel switchers in the background.  I am 99% sure the one to the left is a Wabash SW-1.  Not sure about the ALCo on the right; but it is possible it belongs to the Wabash as well.  The Chevy truck that appears to be loading scrap into the PRR gon was built between 41-46 (they all looked the same), so the photo dates no earlier than 1941.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Thursday, October 15, 2020, 12:37:11 PM CDT, Robert J. Amsler, Jr. <mpfan1@...> wrote:

As these photos are from St. Louis, I wanted to determine which yard was the subject of these three photographs.  I determined that they are actually an industrial yard in north St. Louis City in the northern industrial area where a number of freight houses were just north of downtown St. Louis and just a few blocks west of the Mississippi River.

The business in the background is Carr Tromble Manufacturing, which owned Bilt Well Plans and Millwork.  They published plans for homes and would provide you with a home kit to build your home.

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

514 Dover Place

Saint Louis, Missouri 63111

(314) 606-6118  (Telephone)

(314) 754-2688  (Facsimile)

MPFan1@...

Photos: Assorted Freight Cars In St. Louis (Undated)

Photos from the State Historical Society Of Missouri:

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13798/rec/2

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13220/rec/1

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13011/rec/1

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.