Re: Two Compartment HO Scale Tank Cars: Who Made Them?

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob and Friends,

Mark Feddersen wrote an article in the July 1988 MAINLINE MODELER with the title "Tank Car Pleasure: Twin Dome Kit Modification". Feddersen describes converting a Tichy tank into a GATX prototype. Most of us probably have a couple of these Tichy cars we are too embarrassed to haul out when anybody on this list is looking, so here is a great chance for both an accurate twin-dome tank car, and a use for these dodgy kits.

Twin-dome cars were pretty rare, but they were common enough to justify one or two in a freight car collection. The problem is finding photos and data. It would be neat if somebody did an illustrated article on various twin-dome prototypes.

I have an old steel Athearn/Globe twin-dome which is sort-of kitbashed to stand-in for UNPX 102 (a Sinclair subsidiary that continued with its own reporting mark). Sadly, UNPX 102 was a 6K car, and the Athearn tank is 8K, but I can live with it. It has slightly larger Selly cast metal domes from my parts box. I love finding old Athearn and Mantua steel tank car models at train shows and bringing them back to life.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:49 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Two Compartment HO Scale Tank Cars: Who Made Them?

I seem to recall about eight years ago one of the higher-end manufacturers offered an HO scale R-T-R two compartment tank car in plastic. Perhaps it was Tangent or Broadway Limited.

Does anyone recall who offered this tank car?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA