Today digital (electronic) calipers are popular and have some advantages. I use them, but it seems that every time I need one the battery is dead or has lost contact. Then it’s grab the dial caliper. Or reach in the toolbox and drag out the trusty old Vernier. There’s just nothing to go wrong with them (short of physical destruction).

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Oct 17, 2020, at 9:33 PM, James SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

General makes a plastic dial cal that has HO readout. I use Harbor freight digital in the train room and Mitutoya dial cal in the shop. The Harbor freight is inexpensive and good.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jon Miller
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 1:39 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Digital Caliper Recommendation

On 10/17/2020 11:22 AM, Gene Semon wrote:
PFM had a dial caliper in plastic & metal versions years ago that measured in in HO scale.

    The only PFM one I have seen (not saying there were not others) was not a dial caliper, was metal, and is going for in excess of $100.

    Low cost metal dial (or digital) calipers can be had at Harbor Freight.  Twenty bucks and if you can get a monthly handout usually 20% off.

    eBay

eBay item number:
272740496214

    $6.80, looks to be the same as HF?