Re: Digital Caliper Recommendation

Matt Goodman

And a third on the Mitutoyo. Mentioned in passing in this thread was the battery life question. One of the reasons I chose the Mitutoyo was it’s claim that it had better power management, leading to better battery life. Coming from a series of decent dial calipers that don’t require batteries, this was an important point for me. 

I bought my Mitutoyo 6” caliper (500-196-30) in December, 2016, and am still on the same battery. I’m more impressed every day.

One other thing, and this is a bit squishy. For a short time, I had an inexpensive digital caliper that I bought for the metric conversion feature. The “feel” was sandy and crusty-like, and it lacked a thumbwheel. Both things make measuring small things more difficult.

Typing the above, I remembered I wrote about this on my lightly-used MRH blog four years ago. It still describes my feelings well (minus the unknown battery life).

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US

On Oct 18, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

I second the recommendation on the Mitutoyo digital calipers. I bought one last year and have used it more than I would have expected. It was a big assist on a couple of model builds. 

Yes, it was pricey but good tools are worth the cost over the years.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert J. Amsler, Jr.
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 7:40 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Digital Caliper Recommendation

I use Mitutoyo digital calipers that you can find on Amazon.   They can be zeroed out.  They are very accurate.

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.
514 Dover Place
Saint Louis, Missouri 63111
(314) 606-6118  (Telephone)
(314) 754-2688  (Facsimile)

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of mopacfirst
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 4:26 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Digital Caliper Recommendation

I have a plastic analog (dial) one made by General, which had HO and O scale divisions on it.  From the looks of the letter and number style on it, I wonder if it's German.  Have had it for maybe 15 or 20 years.

It no longer has the O scale divisions on it, because I got confused every time I looked at it to try to take a measurement, so I took a black Sharpie and colored over the O scale numbers.  Crude, but.....

As an engineer, I generally don't want to see numbers that are too accurate, that are more accurate than I can reproduce or that I need.  So wherever the little pointer lands, if it says something is around 6 scale inches, for example, I'm happy with it.  If I was machining something that needed close tolerances, or I needed to stack several things whose tolerances needed to add to a specific value, that would be different, but for my modeling, in general, this is the proper degree of precision for me.

Ron Merrick 

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.