Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR and other coke cars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Thanks for sharing that, Bill!  Very similar to PRR coke cars of that era.

It appears that most (if not all) coke cars of this type did have the original doors removed as here:

https://digital.hagley.org/PRR_13040?solr_nav%5Bid%5D=ffb3ba399698fd3b3998&solr_nav%5Bpage%5D=0&solr_nav%5Boffset%5D=2

…and that it was then a simple matter of installing the “doors” board-by-board, after which you climbed the ladder, filled the car up, took it to the customer, and bashed the boards out (in) to empty.

I would still like to find the correspondence as to why they didn’t use a dedicated coke hopper like attached H22.  It might have been lack of facility to center dump.

Elden Gatwood