Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR and other coke cars

Eric Hansmann

As noted in the Pennsy gondola book, the GSD cars were out of coke service by 1931.

Several years ago when I was researching the coal fields of north-central West Virginia I stumbled across an interesting nugget. Coke oven operations shut down along the Western Maryland near Belington and in Thomas, WV. Only one remained in Harding, WV, but it would close in 1927 or 28. Coke production had shifted from beehive ovens to the by-product plants and affected these operations far from the mills.

Have you found similar shutdowns in the Connellsville Coal & Coke District that would affect the numbers of cars needed to transport coke?

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN