Re: Cotton Belt dbl door boxcar

Ed Hawkins

On Oct 23, 2020, at 1:37 PM, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

I read , perhaps in the caption, that these cars after rebuilding were used for Blue Bird bus company seats and also for general service.

I see from this picture grabbed from Ebay that at least two methods were used in splicing the ends for increased height. My model has the center section with 3 Murphy ribs, as shown on SSW 46029 to the left.

Anyhow, hearing from some gifted person on what brake equipment was used is appreciated in advance.
Thanks,
-Andy Carlson

Andy,
The SSW diagram for 46000-46199 denotes the following info.

1. Original cars built in 1924-1925 by Mount Vernon Car Manufacturing Co.
2. Steel sides applied by SSW 1936-1937
3. Roof raised & steel roof applied by SSW 1939
4. Auxiliary doors closed by SSW 1954 (7’-4 1/4” clear opening after aux. doors were fixed)
5. Steel roofs - Murphy (SREM Co.)
6. Steel ends - Union Metal Products Co.
7. Running boards - Apex
8. Side doors - Camel (Youngstown)
9. Hand brakes - AAR approved
10. Trucks - Scullin spring plankless (photo appears to be Andrews with spring planks)
11. Nailable Steel Floor the width of the doorway

The Murphy roof is interesting as the end sheets closest to the ends are depressed - what appears to be several inches lower than the 10 intermediate roof sheets.

Regarding the hand brakes, all I have to go by is an outstanding in-service photo of SSW 46049, Col. Chet McCoid, 1-15-55, Calexico, California, Bob’s Photo (neg. code FSSW8). This particular car was built 4-24. Stencils do not specify a rebuild date. It’s a fresh repainted car 5-20-54 at the Cotton Belt Pine Bluff car shops. The photo is a 3-4BL view with a Champion hand brake (see photo page 14, RP CYC Volume 10). It’s unknown to me if all 200 cars received the same type of hand brake.

Regards,
Ed Hawkins