Re: Cotton Belt dbl door boxcar

Schuyler Larrabee

Hi Andy

The photo, when enlarged after a capture, is a bit fuzzy (!) but I’m curious about the roofs.  It appears that they wee raised above the top of the original sides.  There’s several ways to do this, but is that fact what I’m seeing?

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy Carlson
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 2:38 PM
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Cotton Belt dbl door boxcar

Hi folks-

Years ago, after discovering one of these Cotton Belt USRA Clone DS double door rebuilds in the Henderson box car book, I made a scale drawing. The cars seem to have been in the 46000 series of  the SSW. I have an HO model I built of this car about 23 years ago which I would like to update. I never knew what power brake brand was used. I used a Ajax back then.

The rebuilds besides reusing the original ends (with mods) also reused the fishbelly USRA style of underframe. With a modified rectangular panel roof and noticeable side sill mods, I think this is a fine looking rebuilt car. The pair of pre-war Youngstown doors and riveted sides work well together for coolness.

Inline image

I read , perhaps in the caption, that these cars after rebuilding were used for Blue Bird bus company seats and also for general service.

I see from this picture grabbed from Ebay that at least two methods were used in splicing the ends for increased height. My model has the center section with 3 Murphy ribs, as shown on SSW 46029 to the left.

Anyhow, hearing from some gifted person on what brake equipment was used is appreciated in advance.

Thanks,

-Andy Carlson

Ojai CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.