Insulated Boxcars v. Bonkerless Reefers

Bill Parks

I'm trying to determine the differences between insulated boxcars (AAR designation XI) and bunklerless refrigerator cars (RB or RBL), and don't see any real difference in design or use (although the ORER does state that RBL/RB MAY have vents - but I've never seen any pictures of any).  As best as I can tell, if the car was owned by a railroad, they would classify it as XI, and the private car owners (FGE, PFE, etc.) would classify them as RB/RBL.

Is that correct, or is there more to it?

Thanks
--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA