Garth

Thank you.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 25 Oct 2020, at 18:17, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Doug and friends,

Don't forget that the WP also loaded beets. WP's steel 46' GS gondolas were used for beet traffic. According to Jim Eager's WESTERN PACIFIC COLOR GUIDE, beets were loaded at Gerlach, Nevada, for processing at Spreckles. And mentioned earlier, there was a sugar plant at Clarksburg on WP's subsidiary Sacramento Northern. I also seem to remember that there was a beet loader on the SN's Woodland Branch.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 9:05 AM Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Here is a poor quality photo of an ATSF stockcar being loaded with sugar beets, at Rocky Ford Colorado. ACS is American Crystal Sugar.

Everything I have sugar beets in California shows SP cars or cars owned by the sugar companies.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Doggett via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 5:32 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ATSF in California

Bob

Thank you more interesting information.

Paul Doggett

On 25 Oct 2020, at 02:53, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

I credit SP expert Jason Hill for answering the question.

He stated, "There was a sugar beet loader at Arvin and several other jointly owned branches around the San Joaquin Valley. However, I believe these were handled by SP cars, which during ATSF operational periods on the branches were supplied by the SP in a reciprocal switching agreement, as the owner of the beets was sending them to the same refineries in CA regardless of which RR was operating the branch that year."
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA