Re: OIL CAR

Charles Peck

I can see two reasons for the car being so marked.  Both suppositions, as
I did not work on that railroad in that time frame.
One, like cars in green hide service, I would think the interior to be grungy
with leaks and spills. Not a condition one would want to spread through
other cars in more general service.
Secondly, many of these products would be flammable to some extent. Kerosene
for instance.  Good to warn people as to the contents.  Especially should it be
having a roaring hotbox.
Chuck Peck  (Some days I wish for a time machine to get better answers.)

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 7:00 PM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:
I would guess the photo was taken in the 1900-1910 decade based upon lettering details.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Oct 25, 2020, at 5:47 PM, mel perry <clipper841@...> wrote:

matthew:
that was my thought also, just wondered
why they specifically labelled as they did
;-)
mel perry

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020, 3:37 PM Matthew Metoyer <mmetoyer@...> wrote:
This image is pre-1930; note the location of car numbers and railroad name. I doubt crankcase oil (or recycling) was a concern at that time.

Matthew Metoyer
Santa Maria CA