Re: Identity Of This Car? (Undated)

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 08:08 AM, mel perry wrote:
assuming by the side door, these cars
could only hold one container? what
was the space in the front of the car
used for? lcl? express? or in fact
could these cars handle two containers?
The car is just one long tube, which originally had tracks to guide the containers and a winch to pull them off the truck chassis. I suspect the side doors were to keep an eye on the progress of the containers as they were pulled into the car. The car is 51' long and the containers are short little things; I suspect that three, and even possibly four would fit. I'm not sure that all the mechanical apparatus is still intact, with the court ordered break-up of TMER&LCo in 1938, the car went to the newly formed Wisconsin Electric Power Co. that took over the power generation side of the business, for use as a work car on their coal hauling railroad on Milwaukee's south side.

Here are some photos of the car as it is now, and one of the containers: https://www.irm.org/gallery/TMERLM37

Dennis Storzek