Re: OIL CAR

Brent Greer

My father always kept a 5 gallon can of reclaimed motor oil to run through our chainsaws.  Part of what kept out house warm through the winter months in Virginia.

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Richard Townsend via groups.io <richtownsend@...>
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 7:08 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] OIL CAR

Used motor oil also used to be spread on dirt roads for dust control. That was a great way to get lead and other toxins into the environment. That's why the practice was ended.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
From: Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Friends,

When I was much younger, many filling stations, especially locally-owned stations, sold reclaimed oil in bulk for automobile use. My father used to keep a couple of five-gallon cans of the stuff to pour into his Packards. Selling reclaimed oil pretty much disappeared with the homogenization of retail gas stations in the 1960s (which also ended distribution by local wholesalers who received petroleum products in freight cars--mandatory FC content). Of course, old oil is still recycled, but is rarely sold at retail, and most gas stations are now convenience stores that make more money selling snack food. 

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 4:11 PM Mont Switzer <MSwitzer@...> wrote:
Used oil also makes pretty good fuel for some applications and was transported for such.  Mont Switzer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] on behalf of CJ Riley via groups.io [cjriley42=yahoo.com@groups.io]
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 12:23 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

A quick Google search led me to a site that stated oil recycling began in the 30s and grew substantially during WWII. Oil doesn’t wear out. It gets dirty and loses some of its components. Used oil can be filtered and additives replaced.

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.