Re: Accurail 1800 series bocxcar kitbash

Eric Hansmann

A few railroads used ends similar to the indestructible design to upgrade older cars. They turn up on wood sheathed B&O, DL&W, and Erie boxcars.

It was determined awhile back by a couple B&O modelers that the ends used on B&O cars were home built and had differences to the ends used on D&H, DL&W, and Erie cars. IIRC, one major difference is the angled pieces point a different way on the B&O cars.

This end view of an Erie boxcar shows the design, but the components don’t seem a heavy as what was used on B&O cars.

http://hansmanns.org/images/canton_industry_2.JPG

Compare the Erie car end with the B&O car in the attachment.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chuck Cover
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 12:44 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Accurail 1800 series bocxcar kitbash

Group,

I was looking at Ray Breyer's discussion of the Accurail 1800 series boxcar and kitbash posiblities for the D&H 36' DS boxcar.  I would like to find more information on the "indestructible end" and the inverse Hutchins end.  I know that Funaro has models with the inverse Hutchins ends so they may be a source if they sell the ends separately.  Are there any other possible sources for this end?

Are there any drawings or articles which I can reference to bash the "indestructible ends"? 

Thanks,

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.