Re: Photo: CN Eight-Hatch Reefer 209500 (1941)

Bob Chaparro

Gary Townshend commented:

"The cars were originally developed by 1937, the year the test run was made, bringing two car loads of frozen fish back from Prince Rupert BC to Montreal PQ*. As Supervisor of Perishable Traffic for the CNR System, my grandfather had various shops experiment with mechanical refrigeration in the 1950's. I have had the pleasure of discussing some of those experiments with the employees. They agreed that ice refrigeration across the CNR was more reliable in that time. So my grandfather ordered 200 new overhead ice bunker reefers in 1958, a year before he retired.

*Those first two cars had ten hatches!"

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA