From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dennis Storzek
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 4:28 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Banned from Interchange - was Re: Real or no?

Someone should mention, so I will, that most items "banned" from interchange service were about parts inventory rather than safety. The AAR interchange agreement anticipated that most defects were to be repaired where found, with the cost of the repair charged back to the owner road through a system of fixed charges set by the AAR. Antiquated equipment might be fine for a small road that stocked all the parts at their few repair locations, but the majors would grow tired of stocking parts and material that only saw occasional, and dwindling, use. I suspect the ban on K brakes was of this nature. as was the ban on non-standard couplers, which occurred  sometime in the seventies, after our cut-off date.

Dennis Storzek