Re: Real or no?

Tim O'Connor

Ahem. These so-called "bans" were not outright bans -- Cars with "outlawed" equipment were simply not approved
for UNRESTRICTED INTERCHANGE. Railroads could voluntarily continue to use such equipment and railroads could
interchange them by MUTUAL AGREEMENT. I saw many cars with plain bearing trucks being interchanged between
railroads after plain bearings were "banned" in the 1990's.

And these were AAR rules as far as I know. The ICC or FRA would be the authority that gave regulations of this kind the
power of law.

On 11/5/2020 2:05 PM, Kenneth Montero wrote:
Bob,

I stand corrected. Thank you.

The article cited by Bill Darnaby discussed the Pennsylvania's decision not to accept in interchange most cars equipped with these trucks. Those that were accepted had been modified.

Ken Montero
On 11/05/2020 11:35 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Allied Full-Cushion trucks were banned from interchange in 1959. I don't believe they were ever outlawed, that is, prohibited by law or regulation backed by law.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts