Re: Photo: Monon Covered Hopper 4240

Mont Switzer

Bill and all,

Only one LO  ended up dedicated to Omar Baking in Indianapolis.  If I recall correctly from diagrams it was fitted with 20 inch circular round hatch openings ON the original square hatch covers.

Mont Switzer 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/6/20 11:17 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Monon Covered Hopper 4240

The EMD library had copies of all of the railroad industry publications going back into the 40’s and I remember seeing a blurb about these cars that stated that some of them were assigned to the Omar Bakery in Indianapolis for flour service.  I don’t imagine that they lasted long in that service as that design of car was not particularly well suited for flour service but it is not beyond comprehension that the Monon gave it a try back in that era.

Bill Darnaby

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Aufderheide
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 4:43 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Monon Covered Hopper 4240

Scott,

The Bob's photo I mentioned was taken in Ottawa IL, famous for it's silica sand pits.  I have been told by an ex-Monon employee these were in glass service for a Chrysler windshield plant in Indianapolis.  I have not been able to find out much about this, however.   Does anyone know about this factory?

In the Monon conductor's reports I have they carry mostly cement, and I think that is why they were purchased.  The Monon served a large cement plant south of Greencastle IN.  (at a station name called "Cement" !)  The cars also carried soda ash and lime.  It is not recorded in these reports, but I have heard they also carried 'limestone dust'; a waste product from stone cutting mills that is used in the cosmetics industry.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.