I split box car doors by putting them on a hard flat surface, lining up a single edge razor blade
where I want to make the vertical cut, and then using pressure first and then hammering with a
steel weight, I get a perfect slice. Plastic doors (with smooth backs), that is.

On 11/9/2020 11:07 AM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
Hi Ed and List Members,

Ed wrote: "Even single edge razor blades are much better than hobby blades for many jobs"

I also have found this to be true. My theory on the topic is that the tip on a single edge razor blade is a 90 degree angle, and the tip on a #11 X-Acto is a much more acute angle, sort of like the tip on the end of a slice of pizza. I suspect it is this acute angle that makes it susceptible to breaking off more easily than the single edge razor blade

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
From: Ed Mims
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2020 7:25 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Scalpels

Years ago I discovered that medical grade blades are vastly superior to hobby grade blades. They are made from high quality steel, are sharper and hold their edge much longer. Even single edge razor blades are much better than hobby blades for many jobs.

Ed Mims
Jacksonville, FL

Sterling, Massachusetts