Re: Scalpels

Schuyler Larrabee

Claus, I think you’re correct, however, I misread your statement to begin with, which made me go measure some dimensions on a SERB, and on a handy eXacto blade.

My SERB is .01” thick and the dimension of the ground part on the side is .040”, so the included angle between the two ground faces works out to ~14d, 20 minutes.  I thought it would be less.

The eXacto is .026” thick with a ground face of 0.075”.  The included angle is therefore ~18d 05minutes.

There, the SERB is sharper than the eXacto.

Then it dawned on me that you were looking at the SIDE view of the blades . . . and I suppose you’re correct about the strength of the corner vs the pointed tip of the eXacto.  But I’ve never had one break off so it didn’t occur to me that that was what you’re talking about.

Nevertheless I now have a Real Answer as to which is sharper!

Schuyler