Re: Scalpels

Dennis Storzek

Lester,
You mention grinding the stiffening rib off scalpel blades to get them to fit an X-acto handle. There is another way. I've had little use for X-acto blades over the years, but at one point at a show I found I had scalpel blades but no handle, so I procured a #2 X-acto handle. The collet that holds the X-acto blade is soft aluminum, easy to file, so I just used the edge of a knife edge file to file a groove along the split line on one side of the collet, sufficient to clear the rib on the scalpel blade. Once modified it will accept unmodified scalpel blades, and still work with X-acto chisel blades, too.

Dennis Storzek