Re: B&O underframes

ROGER HINMAN

I have a copy of Standard Steel drawing 38048 (which is available at the IRM) for a 1916 order of M15 boxcars. I compared this with the drawing referenced in RWA. The underarms are very similar, but not identical. Truck Spacing and cross member spacings are different.

Roger Hinman

On Nov 9, 2020, at 8:08 PM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Can you share the issue date so I can dig around the online archives?

The few images of pre-USRA B&O reefers that I’ve seen have been truss rod cars with a straight steel center sill. The M-15 boxcars had a fish belly center sill and no truss rods.

The M-18 boxcar class was similar to the M-15 car design but had truss rods and a steel center sill. About 3000 M-18 cars were put into service in 1916. These are low numbers in comparison to the M-15 cars.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of lrkdbn via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 6:00 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] B&O underframes

Dear group
In 1917 the B&O ordered a batch of steel underframe freight reefers. Plans were published in the "Railway Age"
trade magazine. The article stated that the underframe was supplied by Ralston. My question is this-is this the SAME underframe as the M-15 DS  box cars i.e. did B&O have a standard underframe design?I can see that the two cars have similar underframes: what I want to know is whether they were exactly the same-say like the Pennsy
X23 and X25 and R7  all have the same underframe.(Things like this come up when you're a rivet counter...)
Thanks for any help you can give
Larry King