Re: Scalpels

Matt Goodman

Thanks for writing about this, Lester. I purchased a scalpel handle and #11 equivalent blades from a UK seller on Ebay a year or two ago. Around the same time, I also purchased two Olfa knives: A Designer Art Knife (AK5) and a Cushion Grip Art Knife (AK4).

The blades for the AK4 are identical in shape to an XActo #11 (though thinner and sharper). The shape of the blade  on the AK5 is about half that of a #11, and I’ve come to prefer that angle. It’s more usable in more situations than the #11 profile (for me).

Long story short, If I buy another set of scalpel blades, they will be a profile similar to the Olfa AK5 blade. But then again, maybe I won’t buy more scalpel blades - the Designer Art knife as a whole is just a joy to handle - especially for tasks like cutting out decals. Links for reference.

Favorite:

Very nice but too heavy for model building:

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US

On Nov 8, 2020, at 1:02 PM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

If you have an interest in new tools or a new use for an old tool, my new blog post on scalpels and other handles as  Xacto with scalpel blades is available for your read.  Photos and writeup of scalpels are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer