Re: Was there ever a clinic on Delano-based paint and weathering?

Tony Thompson

     Rob, you must have never heard the clinics that Richard Hendrickson did on this topic, nor the joint clinic he and I presented a few times (and which I recently updated and revised for presentation at Cocoa Beach).
      Richard felt strongly that few modelers are willing to make models truly dirty, though in the steam era it was not a rare condition, and that few modelers are capable of modeling BOTH almost-clean cars and seriously dirty cars. Instead, he believed (and I concur) that modelers tend to settle on a degree of weathering that they like and can achieve, and their whole fleet tends to end up that way.
       Regarding the Delano photos, Richard felt that there are some film issues with the colors. He was quite careful in using vintage photos for purposes of color choice, though of course such photos can readily show degrees of dirt.

Tony Thompson