Re: Was there ever a clinic on Delano-based paint and weathering?

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff wrote:

A shift toward pink suggests that the negatives might be deteriorating.

   Excellent point. The pinks and violet shades in some Delano images seem more likely to result from slide deterioration than from actual paint fading.
    In book publishing, I occasionally dealt with an ancient slide that was really shifted. Photoshop Autocolor is utterly magical with these. But when there are getting to be brown tones, it means that ALL the dyes are going, and Autocolor can no longer fix it.
     That said, I had the chance to experiment with some of Richard Steinheimer's Ansco slides from the 1950s and early 1960s, which did what Ansco does, really color shift. Playing with them in Photoshop, I was able to get some acceptable images, which astonished Dick. He said, "I tried every filter in the darkroom and couldn't fix those, so I thought they were goners." He was amazed to see a few resurrected.
      No one has mentioned the Robert Maxwell Colorado color from the 1940s, both standard and narrow gauge. Many of the images have beautiful color.

Tony Thompson