Decaling and future

Brian Carlson

Seem to be having a strange reaction between my decals, decal setting solution, and the future on the side of the tichy rebuilt boxcar. I painted it a few weeks ago, and then clearcoated it with future a week ago, and I’m now decaling using speedwitch decals. I’m getting areas of discoloration that don’t look like normal air trapped under a decal. It’s like a reaction between the setting solution and future. You can even see a little discoloration between the Herald and data that is not decaled. It’s not happening with every decals. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this before. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Paint was Vallejo, Future is probably 5-10 years old.

My thought is to shoot the other side with gloss again before decaling.

Heavy weathering is in the future (no pun intended) I fear.

Brian J. Carlson