Re: Bill Welch

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Bill and I got to chat briefly at Cocoa Beach one year, and we conversed via email from time to time after that. At one point, some months before the corona virus situation began, he mentioned he was interested in going to one of the operating sessions that Jared Harper holds from time to time, but he did not want to make the 8 hour plus drive from his place in Florida to Jared's place in Georgia on his own. Since I live part-time in Florida about 30 minutes from his place, I suggested to him we could make the drive together at some point. We agreed to try to coordinate this with Jared and figure out when that could happen and when I would next be in Florida

Of course the epidemic and the virus had entirely different plans regarding this, so it didn't happen. Sadly, with his demise, now it will never happen.

Even though Bill and I model in different scales, I found his techniques invaluable, they broke through the 'scale barrier', and his writings raised my expectations of myself and my modeling in a way nobody else was able to.

I'm sure Bill is now enjoying himself running trains on that great mainline in the sky!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Bill Welch

I am just too sad right now. I've lost a friend I knew for almost 30 years. Bill had many
passions and railroads and fantastically good modeling were just two of them. :'(

On 11/18/2020 1:18 AM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Terribly sad news even though Bill told us. He was a terrific modeler but more important he was a wonderful human being. All who knew him will miss him greatly, but many who never met him will mourn his loss. I won’t get over it very quickly.
Tony Thompson 

On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:09 PM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
 I didn’t really know Bill or his family, but was shocked when he advised of his diagnosis.  The suddenness of his death will be very hard for them.   I’m sorry for them and hope the thoughts for his remembrance service make it memorable. 
I will miss the unique vitality and knowledge he brought to clinics and emails, and grateful to what he shared with us.  His modelling has been an inspiration.  And our community will be less with his passing.
It's been a hard year.   
Rob     

On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:33 PM, Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

There are getting to be too many empty chairs at the table....
Nine weeks from diagnosis to death.....
Bill was already planning his memorial service when he notified some of his friends of his situation. He had hoped it could be held while he was still alive to enjoy it, but that was not to be. So we'll have to celebrate Bill's life without him. A gentleman and a gentle man, Bill leaves an amazing legacy of accomplishment and inspiration. A life well lived.....
Tom Madden

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.