Re: GN 1948 Box Cars

mopacfirst

I'm sure others who are more familiar with Intermountain's fumbles will chime in.  That long bar across the ends is part of the post-1967 safety standards changes.  If you're modeling before then, you can leave it off and plug the holes (I use white styrene rod).  The good news is that most of the colors that GN used are easily available in bottle form for a little touchup.

Not sure that the expanded metal running board that comes with the kit is very common either, but there is among others an RPCyc article on these cars and other postwar 10'0" boxcars.  I have built all mine, except for a couple that I changed the doors on and still need to paint the new doors to match.

Ron Merrick