Re: automobile boxcars

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tim and friends,

What I didn't see mentioned in this thread (or missed) is the coding on and below the strip. Did this indicate the make and model of vehicle for which these racks were configured, or was it a pool number which would pretty much amount to the same thing? As models changed, particularly as wheelbases changed, the Evans racks had to be adjusted or modified to fit. I can't read what's on the strip, but the text below it seems to read "16F5".

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 11:13 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Here is a better view of the white stripe on an SP XMR car repainted in 1958. This car also has the 'combination' roof
for stowage of the interior automobile rack.

On 11/19/2020 11:04 PM, Guy Wilber via groups.io wrote:
Bill wrote:

“One of the comments says, The horizontal white stripe on the door indicates that the car has automobile-loading racks".  Was this "standard" across all railroads, or just for certain roads?  I ask, because not all of the cars shown have the stripe (for instance SP 64210).”

The 3” wide white stripe was the original standard marking for cars equipped with auto loading devices as adopted by the ARA in 1933.  The stripe was to be applied to the right door, though (early on) many roads decorated both doors.

The right door on SP 64210 is obscured by the automobile, but the stripe is (more than likely) there.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Sterling, Massachusetts