Re: automobile boxcars

Guy Wilber

Garth Groff wrote:

“What I didn't see mentioned in this thread (or missed) is the coding on and below the strip. Did this indicate the make and model of vehicle for which these racks were configured, or was it a pool number which would pretty much amount to the same thing? As models changed, particularly as wheelbases changed, the Evans racks had to be adjusted or modified to fit. I can't read what's on the strip, but the text below it seems to read "16F5".

The door marking had nothing to do with makes and models of automobiles.

Evans Type “F” Auto Loaders with a total of 16 chain tubes or a combination of tubes and floor brackets to accommodate five automobiles.  Typically, only in a fifty foot car.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada