Re: automobile boxcars

william darnaby

My NMRA reprint of the 1/53 ORER has all of this info on page 721 just preceding a 9 page listing of all cars for all roads so equipped.  Check your ORER’s of that period.

Bill Darnaby

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Guy Wilber via groups.io
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 11:48 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] automobile boxcars

Garth Groff wrote:

“What I didn't see mentioned in this thread (or missed) is the coding on and below the strip. Did this indicate the make and model of vehicle for which these racks were configured, or was it a pool number which would pretty much amount to the same thing? As models changed, particularly as wheelbases changed, the Evans racks had to be adjusted or modified to fit. I can't read what's on the strip, but the text below it seems to read "16F5"

The door marking had nothing to do with makes and models of automobiles.

Evans Type “F” Auto Loaders with a total of 16 chain tubes or a combination of tubes and floor brackets to accommodate five automobiles.  Typically, only in a fifty foot car.

Guy Wilber

Reno, Nevada