Re: Slide and Negative Scanners

Mont Switzer

OK guys, at the risk of sounding like the hack that I am, I developed a method years ago of digitizing slides in a hurry.  The resulting photo is usually needed for a model in process.

I have a device that is like a small light table that I used to use when sorting color slides.  It still comes in handy for this.  I also learned that I could set up a designated spot on the light table and aim my camera with close up lens at it.  Then all I had to do was scoot the slide(s) into that spot, focus on the subject in the slide and take a digital image.  Pretty quick.

This is not a museum quality operation, but when you consider that my hobby is building models, it serves my purposes pretty well.

Yes, I have a 3600 dpi slide scanner for the more critical digital conversions, but I don't let it slow my model building down.   

Mont Switzer 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] on behalf of devansprr [devans1@...]
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 1:04 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Slide and Negative Scanners

Charlie,

This is an interesting alternative, although it only works for 35mm slides. It came up on the RR Historical Society SIG group. Credit to Jeff Eggert over at CNWHS:

http://www.yardoffice.com/archives/howto/slideshootingdslr.html

In addition to being pretty fast, if you already have a slide projector and DLSR, it is of nominal cost.

At some point I need to use this setup for my non-RR family slide collection. I used a Canon film scanner in the past, and liked it very much, but it has suffered a hardware failure after about 15 years and I have not yet attempted a repair (nor do I know if parts are available.)

But my Canon scanner could never scan close to the 300 slides per hour rate that Jeff claims.

Dave Evans

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.