Re: Photo: NP Automobile Boxcar 6181 (1934)

Schuyler Larrabee

Something I’ve thought for a long time.  I mean, the Accurail car with the extreme wood grain is great, but also so identifiable as “another one of those models,” as to be boring after a while (Sorry, Dennis).

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 1:27 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: NP Automobile Boxcar 6181 (1934)

Hi Schuyler and List members,

Maybe this tells us something about how our single sheathed models should look?!?

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 1:24 PM

Better than that, I saved a copy of the expanded image and zoomed in on that.  I >CAN< see some indication of joints but it simply was not “for sure” for me.

Thanks to the respondents for the clarity.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert kirkham
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 1:21 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Did you click on the expand icon before zooming?  When I do that I can see the cracks between the individual boards.  Here’s a snippet:

Rob 

On Nov 21, 2020, at 10:12 AM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Even though I’ve zoomed in quite a ways, could someone confirm my impression that this is a wood-sheathed car?

The door’s wood, but I am not completely sure that the car side is wood.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 11:52 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: NP Automobile Boxcar 6181 (1934)

Photo: NP Automobile Boxcar 6181 (1934)

A photo from the Denver Public Library:

Click on the arrows in the upper right hand corner of the photo to enlarge it and scroll to enlarge it further.

Car built in 1923.

The car's reporting marks are repeated on the right end.

Although not legible, there is a car inspection card above the right wheel of the left truck. 

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.