Re: Photo: ATSF Boxcar 212625 Bx-12 (1948)

Steve SANDIFER

1910-1931:

Mineral Brown – sides, ends, roofs, doors, underframes and trucks on repainted cars.

Black – underframes and trucks on new cars, route card boards.

1931-1951

Mineral Brown: sides, ends, and doors, underframes and trucks on repainted cars; wood sheathed roofs, wood running boards, edges of flooring at door openings, roof hatches on convertible stock cars.

Black: underframes and trucks on new cars only, route card boards (not on all cars).

Black Anti-slip – steel or metal sheathed roofs, steel running boards on repainted cars.

1951-1980

Mineral brown – sides, ends (most cars) and doors; underframes and trucks on repainted cars, wood sheathed roofs, wood running boards, steel running boards (repainted cars); ends of flooring at door openings, roof hatches on convertible stock cars.

Black: underframes and trucks (new cars only); route card boards (only in the early 50s, not on all cars).

Anti-slip mineral brown: steel or metal-sheathed roofs. Began in 1951 but black or redish brown granules continued to be used on some cars for several years. Anti-slip was discontinued in the late 50s/early 60s because trainmen seldom rode the car tops when in movement.

1940-47 – Santa Fe System Maps

1947-58 – Ship & Travel

Through 1937:  A.T.&S.F.

1938-1943 : A.T.S.F

1944+: ATSF

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: Scott <repairman87@...>

Date: 11/22/20 7:57 AM (GMT-10:00)

Well, this one has a mineral red roof on it and a 1948 re-weigh. I guess I have been painting them wrong all this time which is disappointing.  I thought they still had black roofs then.  Certainly make painting then easier I suppose.

Scott McDonald