Re: LV 9951 series, was: Photo: Reading Well Hole Flat Car 99009 (Undated)

O Fenton Wells

Great job on that kit.  Red Ball were not easy to get right.  I built the depressed center flatcar in highschool and used Walthers Goo as that was what the instructions suggested.  As a highschool student I was not proficient in Goo.
Fenton

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 3:24 PM Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:
As stated earlier, here’s my photo of the HO Redball LV 56’ well-hole flat ...

I’ll make one correction to my earlier post … the deck is imbossed cardstock. As stated the ends and sides are set metal castings, the frame is wood, with blocks for the ends and stips for the sides. The trucks are pasenger trucks fitted with smaller 33” wheelsets. Detailing is basic, as I had no better info at the time. The load is also Redball, a new crane bridge. I built this car perhaps 40 years ago, and it’s seen a lot of service.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Nov 20, 2020, at 11:38 AM, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

Mine, built from a quite old kit (ca. 1960), has wooden blocks for the end platforms, and soft metal overlays for the top decks, sides, and ends. NO trucks came with it. I used modified 3-axle passenger trucks. I’ll try to post a photo of the model soon.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Nov 20, 2020, at 11:11 AM, Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

On 11/20/2020 6:57 AM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Redball used to offer a wood & metal kit of this car in HO scale. I have one. It’s a bit crude by modern standards, but with a little work makes an unusual and quite presentable model.

Dan Mitchell

    I have one of these.  I believe the sides are card-stock.  The wheels in the RB trucks are 28".

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

--