Re: IC 50' double door single sheathed box car

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Andy,

As I noted in my post, the Walthers car had 3-3-3 Dreadnaught ends.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 2:49 PM Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:
Hi Al-

Based on your mentioning of IC 50'ers, I went to Fallen Flag and found a 1968 shot of IC 34730, a 4 + 5 panel double door SS car. This car had 5-5-7 Murphy corrugated ends, a lower side sill fish belly attachment and similar Howe truss configuration. My board counts show + or - one wood board. The upper side sill on the IC car seems a bit taller than the Walthers side, but the diagonal braces on each end look close to exact. Hard to determine the IC roof. Door and half Wood doors lasting to the late 1960s. That may make the side panels a bit wider in dimension compared to the true double door Walthers car. All-in-all, I would say interesting!
Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Inline image

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 8:43:48 AM PST, al_brown03 <abrown@...> wrote:

As Fenton suggests, I've done the IC 50' SS DD box from the Walthers car. Richard Hendrickson surveyed prototypes years ago, I want to say in RMJ.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.