From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2020 5:42 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] C&I Hopper

Friends,

While rambling through my collection, I came upon this view of Cambria & Indiana hopper 1888. Oddly, this was taken in Charlottesville, Virginia, on the C&O (well, really CSX by then), probably in late 1984. What a car from a 35-mile Pennsylvania shortline was doing in a C&O train is beyond me.

In those days, the former C&O Mountain Division saw many trains each way. Trains stopped on the west side of town before moving into the small yard. This happened to be right behind the computer store where I worked, so I often got a good view of cars, though few photos.

This car series is not listed in my October 1958 ORER, so I suspect it was a second-hand purchase, possibly beyond our era of interest, though the car itself certainly dates to our period.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff