Re: Pacific Fruit Express Data Boxes

Tony Thompson

Mark Vinski wrote:

"William is right, beat me to it. There are two boxes but they were used in sequence,, oldest one replaced with every repack"
Tony Thompson

So does that mean that there are two repacking data sets present on the car after the initial one? Or do they paint out the old set and then have a place to stencil the new set without having to wait for the paint to dry? That seems to be what the center picture shows.

    I hadn't thought about it this way, but I think Mark is right about the intention; however, almost every photo I have of cars in service shows only the top box in use. The second box was intended as a convenience, according to my interviews with retired PFE people, but perhaps most workers doing such a stencil were used to making a paint patch, then stencil, and thus continued to use the upper box only.

Tony Thompson