Re: Another means of adding chalk markings

Bob Chaparro

I experimented with various marking tools for making white chalk marks in HO scale, using two fine point paint markers and three pencils:

  • Sharpie paint marker
  • Pen-touch paint marker
  • General charcoal white pencil
  • Prismacolor Verithin pencil
  • Supracolor II Soft pencil

Generally, these are available at Michael's, Aaron Brothers and Dick Blick stores or through their websites.

I found the pencils easier to use than the paint markers and they did a better job of simulating chalk marks. The point of the General charcoal white pencil tended to crumble a bit so my recommendations are limited to the Prismacolor Verithin pencil and the Supracolor II Soft pencil.

I previously compared the Prismacolor Verithin pencil to a regular Prismacolor pencil and found the Verithin pencil gave better results so be sure to look for the Verithin version of that pencil brand.

The marks were easily removed within five minutes using isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab, so mistakes are easily eliminated.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA