Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] More boring well car stuff pt 8, was: Photo: Reading Well Hole Flat Car 99009 (Undated)

Todd Sullivan

Elden,

Regarding your comments about well flat designs and deciphering ORER entries, in my clerking experience, which included working Car Distributor (essentially the car inventory & supply mgr) for 2 weeks, I found that each industry's traffic manager had a pretty good working knowledge of the cars his company needed on a regular basis.  When I received calls requesting empties for loading, the requests were usually very specific down to the individual car or series number.  Also, the Car Distributor had a pretty good knowledge of both A) car types ordinarily found on the property (we were a terminal switching outfit) and B) how to decipher the contents of the ORER.  As a side note, after working as a clerk in the yard for about 6 months, if you gave me a valid initial and number combination for one of our area RRs, I could give a physical description of the car and what it was normally used for.

Todd Sullivan