Re: Ann Arbor Accurail kitbash


Robert kirkham
 

Trial and error!  LOL.   Well, I filed and sanded down the end to a flat surface, and filled in the mounting holes for the brake step.  This is fairly easy with the original roof off.  (I removed the roof as I wanted a wider roof overhang to match the prototype.)   Once the ends were flat, I 3d printed the 4 bulges.  2 or 3 holes were drilled through the end to allow gluing the bulges with CA from behind.  The bulges were tacked into place with Tamiya solvent (which won’t hold the printed parts long term), and then moved around until they looked about right, then the CA added from inside the car body.  A strip of .005” styrene was solvent cemented across for the panel seem.   Archer rivets applied per the photos.  

It's been a learning process both in methods and in accuracy to prototype.  I think I might do a better job with assembly next time - one end isn’t precisely identical to the other.  And the end details are wrong in a number of ways, which is why I have ended up drawing complete ends that correct errors.   But, since the model was already well along, I decided to complete it and save the corrected ends for another project.

Rob

          

On Dec 3, 2020, at 9:09 AM, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

Nice job Rob.  I would like to hear how you scratch built the ends.  Thanks

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM


Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.