Re: Another means of adding chalk markings

Mont Switzer

Chalk marks,

Don’t forget the loader or unloader who keeps his tally (count of pieces loaded or unloaded) on the car side next to the door opening.

Some locations also had checkers chalk the destination initials on the car side by the door opening so the dock men would know what car to enter.

I like to use a Conte crayon pencil for chalk marks, both white and yellow.  Some marks are added before weathering and fresh ones added after.

In hump yards it appears the conductor chalked the track number on each car prior to pulling the pin.  I suspect conductors did the same whe flat switching to help their brakemen route them correctly.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.