From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2020 11:08 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Whose gon is this?

Eldon,

My original thoughts on identifying that gondola from the car end went straight to some P&LE composite mill gondolas. Here’s a car diagram of what I think we see in that photo. Note how the end drop door is drawn.

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/lot-270.jpg

There were several possible P&LE mill gons with these end drop doors. Here’s a nice view of a Lot 333-G car from the Lackawanna Steamtown photo collection.

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-03-05-14/C4107.jpg

A neighboring image is a closer look at the end drop door.

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-03-04-14/C4106.jpg

As I review the original image again, I see Carmer uncoupling hardware. The Carmer products were not used on many NYCL cars, so my suggestions on the NYC/P&LE mill gon possibilities may have been for naught. But it still seems like a composite mill gon to me.

So we look elsewhere. How about this Lackawanna gon from another set of Steamtown photos?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-06-07-18/X4571.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-06-07-18/X4573.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-06-07-18/X4574.jpg

This seems to be a closer possibility.  And we get a closer look at the cool brake hardware!

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN