Re: Wood sheathing differential weathering reasons

Tim O'Connor

I wonder if a pencil-style coarse sanding stick would be easier if you needed to do the whole side like this car.
Your technique works on USRA and WE gondolas too!

On 12/6/2020 8:05 AM, Charlie Duckworth wrote:
Andy
Thanks for the image and overview.  I went to the work bench and did a ‘beta’ test on a Proto 2000 hopper.  Using a needle in a pin vice I added some grain in a couple places and the used Vallejo black gray and black to replicate the weathered wood as in your photo of the WP car.   After the paint was dry I used the pin vice again to replicate more grain.

This is only a test to see how the weathering of wood can be pulled off - am looking for other thoughts and I’ll try more on this car and post the results.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Attachments: